Student Services

Grief Support Services At School

If your child has experienced the loss of a family member or friend, our school psychologists, guidance counselors, social workers and family service coordinators (see below) are available to assist your child with emotional support while in school. Please contact your child’s teacher, school administration or principal to make arrangements.

Resources For Parents

  1. What Can My Child Understand?
  2. Understanding the Needs of Grieving Children
  3. How to Help a Grieving Teen
  4. The Grieving Teen
  5. Recover from Grief

Crisis Counseling For Students

For students who are in crisis or would like to speak to a judgment-free counselor, support is always available. Please ask for help.

Student Tips:

  1. Talk to a parent, trusted adult or teacher/guidance counselor at MSD of Martinsville
  2. Local and national hotlines are also available:

Local 24/7  Telephone Assistance

  • Centerstone 800-832-5442
  • Adult and Child Services 317-882-5122
  • Emergency 911

National 24/7 Telephone Assistance

  • The Jason Foundation
    1- 800-273-TALK
    A smartphone app is available, ‘A Friend Asks’. For directions, click Jason Foundation APP
    Questions, please visit The Jason Foundation
  • The Trevor Project focuses on being a safe and confidential space available to LGBTQ students who are in crisis or have questions. They offer telephone, texting or online chatting to assist young persons.
    Text START to 678678
    Online chat @ from 3 pm – 10 pm daily
    Questions, please visit The Trevor Project
  • Suicide Prevention Hotline
    Questions, please visit their website HERE



The MSD of Martinsville offers an anonymous TIPLINE. Please use this resource to help us prevent young people from behaving dangerously to themselves or others.

Family Service Coordinators

The MSD of Martinsville recognizes the importance of parental and community involvement in education. The mission of the family service coordinators is to link home, school, and community in order to assist students in reaching their full potential. Family Service Coordinators offer:

Help in Your Home with Personal Visits

  • Assist with communication between home and school
  • Tips for helping your child with homework
  • Home visits can be arranged to accommodate parents’ work schedules

Help for School and/or Home Behavior Concerns

  • Coordinate school and home behavior plans
  • Assist in scheduling school work and family routines
  • Tips on discipline

Transportation Assistance

  • School conferences
  • Medical appointments
  • Social service appointments

Referrals to Community Resources

  • Identify local counseling resources
  • Identify local medical resources
  • Assist with social service applications
  • Identify family needs and refer to community agencies

For questions, please contact our family service coordinators:

Patti Ostler
[email protected]

Students Durning the Day

Free and Reduced Lunch Opportunities
To learn more about our free and reduced lunch services for students attending the MSD of Martinsville, please visit

Clothing and School Supplies 
If your child is in need of school supplies or clothing, please contact your child’s school for assistance.



Rent Assistance

The Indiana Emergency Rental Assistance (IERA) program is currently accepting applications from Indiana renters who are behind on their rent and/or utility payments. Eligible Hoosiers can receive up to 15 months of assistance in past-due and forward-facing rent and utilities which includes electric, gas, water/wastewater, and bulk fuel. To qualify for assistance, a household must meet three criteria – be at or below 80% of the area median income, have been financially impacted by COVID-19, and be at risk of homelessness or housing instability.

Renters experiencing a hardship are encouraged to apply for assistance at or by calling 2-1-1.

Applications are available in English and Spanish.

Additional information about the program or the other housing-related assistance provided by the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority (IHCDA) at